how do you spell Misungwi?

Monday, November 28, 2005

lions and tigers and bears

ok, so none of those things.

But on my drive through the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater area, I saw a LOT of giraffes, elephants, dikdiks, impalas, other deer-looking thingees (I'm not that romantic about safaris - in all honestly, most of the time you just see a bunch of deer), a few hippos, a lone hyena, a TON of zebras, wildebeest and other cow looking things I'm not sure of (OK, lets just say most of a safari is looking at deer and cows. Hey! I should start up a 'Wisconsin-safari' tour company and clean up on all these wazungu suckers shelling out big bucks to come to TZ!)

The sheer number of these deer/cow lookalikes will remove any remaining guilt I have when I taste, which I am now determined to do, some of this 'bush meat'. Hear Zebra meat is tasty too. Oh, in addition to all the (tasty looking) animals, I saw some Maasai people herding ther cattle/sheep through the parks (in Mwanza all they do is guard work, other Tanzanians are scared of Maasai). It was interesting to see, but I had no touristy desire to take countless photos around their huts (nor any intension of eating them, for that matter).

So now i'm at a hotel in Arusha during the first day of our group AMREF meeting. And if there's any way I can sum up how fantastic this day has been, it's with the following two words:

HOT SHOWER.