how do you spell Misungwi?

Friday, April 21, 2006

and.... i got nothing

I've just spent 5 minutes staring at a blank computer screen, trying to figure out what to write.

But that's OK, because there's air conditioning!!!

Well, so things are going pretty well here, other than a boil on my knee (?!) that hurts.

SUNDAY - Easter day. I slept in until 9am, which is basically unheard of here [in fact, I believe it is the ONLY time i've slept in past 8 in the year and a half i've been here]. I spent the day hanging out, baking brownies and banana bread to bring to my neighbors, then GORGING myself on an Easter feast of goat, spiced rice, milk, fruits, and the cakes. I ate full meals at 2pm and again at 8pm, and didn't eat on Monday until late lunch. stuffed.

TUESDAY - I didn't do anything. It was nice.

WEDNESDAY - Part two of my condom seminar for workers at the guesthouses (hotels) in Misungwi town. Can I just say, after I finish my two years here, I believe I will look back on this as the most fun of any of my projects. The participants NEVER have gotten any sort of trainings like this (some didn't even attend school - of 12, 3 could not read or write their names). They wore their fancy clothes, brought their own notebooks and pens even though I provided them, and were really excited and anxious to participate and show some pride for the underappreciated work that they do.
The highlight was easily a roleplay session on how to sell condoms. I started by roleplaying the guesthouse worker, basically doing the worst possible job I could and making it very difficult for someone to buy condoms (raising the price, laughing, ignoring, not being too discreet, etc).
Then I asked for volunteers to roleplay ways to improve on my performance, to correct the mistakes I had made, and almost every single participant ended up doing a little drama - and doing them damn well. It gave me a whole lot of confidence that these folks can really get the job done. I plan on following up with them in the upcoming weeks to make sure that they have condoms available at each guesthouse, advertisements are up, displays are ready, etc.

FRIDAY - this morning I managed to make 2 little kids cry, just by looking at me. New meaning to 'freaky friday', as I do indeed feel like a walking sideshow on occasion.
I'm off to the big market today, which is a weekly thing on friday, to look for small dustbins to give to the guesthouse workers to put in the bathrooms for condom disposal.


That's all I got. I'm gonna have to regroup on this blog thing, it's falling apart.
I once again request suggestions/questions for future topics.

2 Comments:

  • don't stop writing your blog!!! i love reading about your daily routine, even if to you it is mundane...it's a lot different than here! (gym, school, homework, sleep, gym, school, homework, sleep) :) hahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2006 6:25 PM  

  • I've been grazing through your writing and it brings back memories of visiting Arusha. Glad to know a fellow SPASH alumni is sticking their neck out in this tree branch world! Keep the vibes and good luck in the rest of your service...see you back in Wisco sometime to in the future. Planning on Marquette Fellows Program.

    Peace to and through.

    "On Earth, God's work must truly be our own." JFK

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/05/2006 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home