how do you spell Misungwi?

Friday, September 30, 2005

long-winded....

...is what my last post was.
It was also only two days ago. I probably wouldn't have written until next week but I'm in Mwanza due to a silly but important Peace Corps emergency reaction drill.

Also, I have an update to the last post. I no longer feel middle-class guilt. This after a very nice conversation with another PCV in the region, Lee, who hiked with me up to a spectacular (compared to Misungwi) rock outcropping near his site in Mwanza to chill this morning(Misungwi, unlike practically every other place near Lake Victoria, has no big boulders. boo.). Unfortunately, as our conversation was critical of both Tanzanian and American governments, I'm hesitant to post it in this public forum. Sorry folks, but I do work for the American government, so I suppose I should watch my mouth (todays headline is about Judith Miller and the Plame investigation, need I say more?). What I can say, in brief - the American middle class, so 'they' say, is declining. That's not good. Tanzania doesn't have much of a middle class to begin with, not good either. Rock on middle class!!

Time to jet back to Misungwi, I suppose. There was a Belgian college student doing research for the past month or so, and she left today. Back to being the only mzungu (white person) in town. But word on the street is that she left me some Belgian chocolate. By 'word on the street' I mean that this is what she told me, because if that were ACTUALLY the word on the street, those chocolates would have been stolen in about ten minutes...

Peace

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home