how do you spell Misungwi?

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

a big round of applause

...goes out to my parents for a great visit and treating me to lots of good food, even when they were full.

After two surreal weeks, especially on safari and in zanzibar, I am now chilling in Dar es Salaam and waiting for a conference in a week and a half.

The visit was great, and my friends in Misungwi town were very excited to meet my folks. Guests are a big deal, so there were numerous dinner invitations and gifts and more-extended-than-usual greetings. And as fun as the safari was [we saw all the animals and lions devouring a wildebeest and baby cheetahs etc etc] and zanzibar is always nice [beaches, enough said, though will try to post more pictures again], I think it was this time in my town that was the most fun for me. I try my best to express some of what I hear and see and feel and say and think and do here, but a lot is lost in this medium, and it was nice to fill in the gaps for them.

Last night about 30 PCVs went to the American Embassy to sing national anthems for an official 4th of July party thrown by the ambassador. There were fireworks, which were nice, but most people were focused on the free drinks and bites. I tried my best to hobknob with some important people, but am not very good at shmoozing. Maybe one success story is that I met the general manager of the Dar es Salaam Holiday Inn who said we should let him know whenever we're in town [please refer to a previous post regarding breakfast buffet to understand the importance of this networking].


Short post now, as I have some grant report writing to do, want to go to the big holiday market in town, and then try to find a place to stay - the tourist season has started, and the hotels are booked.

5 Comments:

  • Jambo!
    Well, I know this may seem like the most random entry you've had for a while....but I heard you were in East Africa & thought I should say hello! Remember me?!? Starr....Starr Cameron....used to sit in front of you in science, math, english, & every other class at P.J. Jacob's. Also...I was the one who rarely showed up to calculus our senior year because it was way too early in the a.m.? Joe Splinter is with the Peace Corps in Jamaica & he & I are still in contact. His dad told him that you were in Tanzania....yadayadayada...got your blog address & here I am!
    Joe & I went to Tanzania & Kenya together a few years ago thru our university. We were only there for a month, but I have been dying to go back ever since.
    Currently, I am working on a degree in veterinary medicine at the Royal Veterinary College in London. I am part of a research team going to Swaziland this summer. When i have finished the research, I am traveling thru Botswana & back up to Tanzania to stay with the family I lived with during my previous time there. It would be great (& somewhat surreal) to meet up with you. If you are available & are interested, send me an e-mail:
    starrcameron@hotmail.com

    I hope to hear from you soon!

    Smiles,
    Starr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 1:45 PM  

  • Hi Brian,

    Happy Birthday yesterday. Is it 24? I'm glad to hear you had a great time with your parents and can't wait to hear all the details from them. Blackberries are beginning to ripen, and with a little help from rain, which is much needed, they will be plentiful. Sorry the berries won't be fresh when you get home (December?), but there will be some fresh frozen for you. It sounds like you are having wonderful experiences and doing great work.

    Ciao for now,
    Auntie Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 6:08 PM  

  • Hujambo, Brian,

    I have finally stopped waking up in the night wondering what village/town we are in, where you are, and why I am missing my mosquito net! Still savoring the countless experiences you led us on in beautiful Tanzania...there is a story for almost all of our photos!

    Nice job of networking with the Holiday Inn (brunch) manager at the Embassy! Seriously, it sounds like a fun event.

    You are a terrific TZ tour guide, so I'm recommending that anyone who wants to visit should do so in the next few months while you are still there to bargain for taxi's, speak Kiswahili with the safari drivers and generally give travellers the access to TZ life you gave us. Ansante sana, Briani!
    Love ya,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2006 7:08 PM  


  • This article is very useful, thank you for sharing. And allow me to share articles too, it's about health and treatment. God willing it will be useful for us all. Thank you :)

    Obat Radang Gusi (Gingivitis)
    Obat Pereda Nyeri Dada Sebelah Kiri
    Obat Untuk Miss V Gatal dan Perih/Nyeri
    Cara Menghilangkan Abses Payudara
    Pengobatan Gagal Ginjal Tanpa Cuci Darah
    Cara Mengobati Luka Jahitan Bernanah

    By Anonymous Obat Selesma/Flu ALami, at 7/10/2018 3:56 PM  

  • By Anonymous Cara Membasmi Penyakit Kudis Dengan Cepat, at 9/11/2018 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home