how do you spell Misungwi?

Friday, January 27, 2006

10 cent shit

I'm sorry, this is gross, but it has to be the first thing I write about, because it's so damn funny.

Not sure how I missed it for a whole year, but yesterday I was walking along one of the winding roads of downtown Mwanza, and came across a public bathroom with the following largely, clearly written on the front wall:

HAJA NDOGO - 50
HAJA KUBWA - 100

Basically, 'little one' is 50 shillings (nickel), 'big one' is 100 (dime). And in case 'little one' and 'big one' isn't clear enough for you, I could also say 'Number 1' and 'Number 2', or 'piss' and 'shit.'

So, for some reason or another, the first thought that popped into my head was 'why is the shit more expensive? I doubt there's toilet paper anyways [usually just water to splash-clean]'

Then, I thought, well, usually when you take a shit, you invariably take a piss. Now, is the 100 shilling 'shit' option an all-inclusive package, piss and shit combined, or is this like an ala carte thing where I would have to pay 100 for just the shit, and fork over an extra 50 for the piss. Because I would be pretty upset if it were the later - it kinda seems like they'd be forcing you into it, since I personally find it hard to NOT piss after going Number 2, and quite frankly I'm surprised anyone would pay 50 shillings to piss in a bathroom anyways, well at least men, since most men here just piss anywhere they feel like.

This is something that I will have to do a bit more research on. But just out of curiosity - since I'm white, I can just walk 5 minutes down the street and take a dump in the SAFI (clean) white-people hotel bathroom. There's toilet paper there, and fancy hand soap. They don't question me or anything, I just go, do my business, and leave. Doubt a Tanzanian could do the same.

Let's see, what's new. Secondary School students are back in class, though I haven't started going to teach yet. I will though, since the teachers set a whole period aside in the schedule for my lesson (for the WHOLE school - eeks- will take some coordination to pull this off). We had a two-day planning meeting for my AMREF work for the year, with all of the District Government big-potatoes. It's kind of interesting, they all seem quite fond and possessive of me, often in a parent-son type relationship (since they are all most definitely older than myself). Now if I can translate this relationship, which has taken me a whole year to slowly build and develop, into something that can actually help me get some kick-ass work done in the year up-coming, well then, that would be fantastic. Today I sat in on a meeting of counselors/testers from the few VCTs in Misungwi district (Voluntary Counseling and Testing centers). It was a pretty informative meeting, though I didn't have a ton to contribute, and they seem interested in involving me in their ongoing efforts to improve testing facilities and encourage more people to get tested - especially working with community drama groups to encourage people to visit their facilities.

That's all to report - well, not all, but I'm damned tired today and am looking forward to getting home and fixing me some guacamole with what - judging by looks, texture, and intution - I believe may be the best avocado I've ever purchased. It's huge, and was only 15 cents!

PEACE
--afterthought--
*I have gotten a request to write a bit more about transporation here in Tanzania, as well as agriculture/farming/rainy season. I will get to those in the next few entries.

**In the meantime, why isn't anyone making comments on this thing?! I'm not pathetic, but that doesn't mean I won't beg and grovel. The heading at the top of this page isn't that far from the truth, I basically do NOT speak English most days here, and you all would be very, very sad for me if you saw how excited I get seeing that I have even one comment!!

6 Comments:

  • I'll take pity on you, although I have very little to comment on...except that the first thing I thought when you said the avocado was 15 cents was the various combinations in which you could spend that kinda money in that bathroom...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/28/2006 1:23 AM  

  • My guess: all-inclusive. Unless they have someone there who's going to charge you variable rates based on the sound ... like "plunk plunk" costs 100, but "ssssss" costs a little less. Do you think they charge extra if you stink up the bathroom, or if you use more than one flush? Because really, that's the cost to the operators, right? If you don't flush, do you think it's free?

    Makes me appreciate my American toilets, even though I hate cleaning them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/28/2006 9:31 PM  

  • Hello Brian! Your daily research is taking on some very earthy elements, but always entertaining to those of us who never pause to think about everyday luxuries like free (and integrated) restrooms!

    One of the many things I like about your blog is that it helps me to visualize your life in Tanzania (which is only a small hint for photos:). You write with alot of interesting detail and I never tire of reading! By the way, how are you and Natalie doing in your dreams these days??
    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2006 7:54 AM  

  • If I had to pay every time I had to go . . . well, I don't think I could have my early retirement!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2006 7:17 PM  

  • Why don't you challenge some racial roles and use the public bathrooms? (Plus, I'm curious to know how they are.....)

    Cheers! Glad you're doing well.

    By Blogger Supersaps, at 1/30/2006 8:00 PM  

  • By Anonymous Obat Kulit Herpes, at 10/16/2018 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home