how do you spell Misungwi?

Monday, December 26, 2005

calm before the storm...

It was raining just now in Mwanza, but in Misungwi, hamna kitu (nothing, in Kiswahili).
However, there are ominous clouds on the horizon, and I have no drinking water, so here's hoping....

Had two guests at my site from Saturday til this morning - a personal record!! Not many visitors here. Well, 2 of 3 (myself included) are not Christmas celebrators, but we still used it as an occasion to cook a feast (though, to be honest, just visiting other PCVs is usually occasion enough, cooking is a big deal here). On Sunday, Christmas day, we cooked and then consumed, per person, the following:
3, 1/3 pound hamburgers (except for the vegetarian)
2-3 mangoes
3-4 tacos (with spicy ground beef, refriend beans, salsa, guacamole, homemade tortillas)
several slices of banana bread
fantastic homemade brownies
pilau (spiced rice) and goat meat (brought to us by my neighbors)
2-5 FANTA organes (michelle was hands-down soda champion of the day)
3 french hens, 2 turtledoves, and a partridge in a pear tree (not really, though they do raise doves here for eatin'. not sure what the hell the 'turtle' part is about, and the doves themselves look pretty gamey, not a whole lot of meat....)

The first thing I said today when I woke up: "I'm hungover, but from food."

I am now back at site (and actually hungry again!). Am looking forward to a relaxing few days of hanging at home, talking to friends, and reassuring everyone that even though I won't be around the next two weeks, NO, that does NOT meant that I ran back to the States and left them without really saying goodbye (so damn possessive, these people of Misungwi are).

Then the real fun begins - a 30some hour bus ride, hop on a ferry, and 3 beatufiul days of swimming and reading and sipping and storytelling on the beach.

Thanks to all who have sent holiday greetings, cards, and good vibes.