how do you spell Misungwi?

Sunday, February 05, 2006

this blog entry is written with one purpose in mind....

PROCRASTINATION.

I'm a big fan of 'to-do' lists, because they make me feel productive. Also, i'm scatter-brained enough that if I don't write them, I have no flippin clue what i'm supposed to do at any given moment.

I usually pack such lists with overly simple things, and occasionally things i've already actually done, so that I am able to cross them out and feel good about myself.

Ok, no judging folks.

Unfortunately, procrastination is an evil temptress. [is 'procrastination' feminine? not very many women I know seem very good at it. maybe that's why they're not tempted by it/her??]

Thus, I am sitting in the internet cafe, reading news, checking movie reviews, talking with my friend about good Tanzanian music. All the while, being taunted by my 'to-do' list, sitting on the computer desk next to me, in plain view.

Here's what it looks like:
[commentary will be presented in brackets - a grammatical tool, along with parantheses, that I am perfectly aware I overuse]

'SUNDAY' [block letters so I don't forget what day it is] [that last comment is not a joke]

- take a shower
[start it simple - though to give myself credit, taking a shower here is not as easy as it is in the states, especially since i was low on water today]
- use internet
[hey!! so it's actually not procrastination if I plan it into my schedule, right?! ok, i'll buy that]
- ngao spray/mop
[ngao is cheap, effective mosquito killer. i mop my floors with it and spray curtains and doorways once every 4 months or so. still malaria free after 1 year+!!]
- kitchen light
[has been busted for a few weeks. so i cook by candle light, or eat at the insanely early hour of 6pm, or at the neighbors house still]
- buy running shorts (bukta in kiswahili)
[good running shorts are imperative before starting any exercise regimen. this is what i've been telling myself for the past 2 months now. i have yet to start running. but i still keep it on my list]
- text Rehema, Mosquitonet
[Rehema because I want to meet to talk to her about The Revenge, which ended last week!! Thank goodness, because I was starting to become seriously upset with the amount of time I wasted watching that stupid show. Also, her cousin is visiting her from California for a few weeks - along with her friend. Nudgenudge, winkwink, saynomore.]
[Mosquitonet is a friend from the Teachers Training College, whose actual name is Chandarua, which in kiswahili does indeed mean mosquito net. gotta remind him to make an announcement about our Lifeskills club]
- visit shoe guys
[I have some good friends who work at a shoe store. haven't talked to them for awhile, need to stop by and say hi, plus I need a new pair of shower sandals, the ones I really liked and had fixed up oh 4-5 times have finally bit the dust, I will post a picture of them when I get a chance, yes i took a picture of them because I really liked them]
- practice LSAT
[self explanatory, yikes! planning my future is scary, but at least i like logic/reasoning problems. so i figure this is an acceptable balance. actually registering for the text might be more nightmare-inducing, especially if it's near larium-night]
- read Form III essays, lesson plan for Tuesday, peer-educator selection
[ok, so i have to throw in some work in here too. preparing to teach at secondary school on Tuesday, as well as teachers college on Wednesday, and the impending surge of AMREF workshops, meetings, seminars, supervisions, etc that have started this past week and will be picking up to a level of near-insanity until calming down again sometime in June]
- read Augie
[like I said, gotta keep some of this stuff fun, and budget time for my current novel]
- neighbor spy
[not as bad as it sounds - more like 'politely start chit-chatting with my next door neighbors who have a very loud church choir rehearsal 6 days a week, to see if the rumors that they are moving into the old TANESCO (electric company) office building are true, and if it is offer my assitance with the move, and then once I get back into my house doing an embarassing dance to celebrate, and if it's not true sighing and going to visit some friends far away until they are done with rehearsal at around 7pm']


WHOOF. it's 3:30 pm, and i've managed to do numbers 1 and 2 on this list. however, I never actually check off 'shower' on my list, since often times the other list items that follow it, combined with oppresive equatorial heat, require at least another rinse in the evening.

ok, time to get started....

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home